Make My Day

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Saga Ends


Bride and Groom on the Beach

Our only daughter is getting on with her life as a Mrs, now that the final episode in their month long wedding has played out. The reception dinner was held last week. Its main purpose being that we could all meet our new extended family. My ex and I were the proud parents of the bride, although we did sit at different tables throughout the dinner. How's this family thing supposed to work anyway? She's not part of my family anymore, but she is my daughter's mother.

There were the usual things that had to be done before an event such as this unfolds. My ex asked me to take her shopping for the cold cuts, so I did. We then proceeded to her residence so the meat could be refrigerated. Sabrina and Sheldon were staying with her for the weekend, and we had a nice little "original family" visit. I might add, my ex lives alone now that her fourth relationship, since our marriage, has failed, so I was welcome.

After the event the next day, a bunch of family ended up at a local bar for drinks, the ex and I included. We were having a great time and I started wondering if my ex had finally learned how to have fun. Since I was the father of the bride, I bought her mother a few drinks and loaned her some money. She promised to pay me back in a week. After all, according to her, she was once my wife and should be trustworthy. The entire evening was thoroughly enjoyable. Everyone was so happy when we all left to go home.

In sixteen years, I have not been in such a close proximity with my ex wife. Sabrina's and Sheldon's marriage brought us together, and we actually acted decently towards each other. I was even thinking how nice it would be if we were still a family and hadn't divorced. But alas, what's done is done, and life goes on. My relationship with Charlene is going on fifteen years now and we're happy.

My ex wife still owes me sixty bucks and I haven't heard from her since that day. Some things never change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home